Monday, March 8, 2010

Things Happen

My son’s iPod has “gone missing.” It is possible that he lost it; but because he has the earphones (which he almost always leaves with the iPod), it is also possible that it was taken from his room. As I have already found out, this is something that can happen to anyone, neuro-typical or not. A friend of my son’s, a freshman at Duke, also lost her iPod, after only a few months on campus. Yes, people with NLD or AS are far too trusting – but I think the same holds true for any young adult who has been brought up with a strong set of fundamental values. I offered my son no more or less support than his friend’s mother offered her child: sympathy, suggestions on reporting the loss, etc. It is a difficult lesson for both of them, no doubt. But maybe it will turn up…

No comments: