Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Let Sleeping dogs Lie

Some parents of young adults with NLD, AS or other social communications issues have expressed concern regarding their child’s sleep habits. Many stay up very late – playing video games, chatting on Facebook, watching TV – and sleep away the daylight hours. I was surprised by threads of emails discussing what medications, or alternative therapies, everyone found helpful.

One day earlier this week, my son slept until past noon, having been up fairly late (doing I have no clue what) the night before. I’m not sure he’s ever done that before. Now I find myself wondering if this is my son hitting a normal adolescent milestone, or is it a problem in the making.

When I was his age and slept in on a non-school day, my mother would simply say “you must have needed the sleep.” She was a great one for cutting me slack when all my friends’ mothers were harassing them out of bed. So, for the time being, I’ll let him sleep
!

No comments: