Monday, March 22, 2010

And THIS is Why You Need to Keep Your Room Organized!

Notice I did not use the word “neat;” although neat would be nice!

My son, daughter and I spent a wonderful weekend of gorgeous spring-like weather at a nearby vacation destination. We enjoyed time with friends, lots of good food, movies, as well as swimming, walking and other exercise.

Upon our return home, my son gathered his (clean) laundry and backpack and we headed back to campus. I helped him carry his things upstairs to his room and – although I wish I could say I was – I was not surprised to see papers and stuff on the floor, his blanket thrown in a heap, and a room in general disarray. I did not say anything in front of his roommate, but as soon as I got in the car I sent a text: “Pick up that trash!”

Not long after walking in the door when I returned home, my phone rang and it was my son. He was calling to tell me that when he made his bed and straightened the comforter out, his iPod fell out. In hindsight, I don’t know why I didn’t tell him to pull his bed apart and check under it. That’s what I would have done if it had gone missing at home.

Anyway, he was thrilled; I am thrilled for him. I reminded him to let Campus Security know that it turned up. And yet another teachable moment – keep your room neater (and it does not have to be spotless!) and things would be easier to keep track of.

No comments: