Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Challenge for Anyone

I have always found that one of the hardest things for me to do (and probably for most people) is to look for a job when you are not currently working. In an era of 10% unemployment, I am sure many people are struggling with this. The standard advice is “You have to network.” But even then, it is difficult to call a friend of a friend and ask if they might know of any job opportunities that would be suitable.

My son has a connection established at Best Buddies – a young woman who is willing and able to help him craft a resume and find summer employment. In this nearly impossible environment, I see this as a golden ticket. Yet my son is hesitant to schedule a follow-up to get started.

While I would like to foster a sense of independence, I KNOW how hard those calls can be; so I offered to call the woman for him, to see when she was available. And I’m actually happy to report that he said no, that he would call her.

No comments: