Friday, February 19, 2010

What Keeps Me Awake at Night

On a website called www.nldontheweb.org, I found an article written by Dr. David Dinklage in 2001, describing Nonverbal Learning Disability and how it differs from Asperger’s Syndrome. Dr. Dinklage’s article was much more specific in terms of strengths and deficits in NLD. One point in particular hit home: “pragmatic use of language is impaired: weak grasp of inference, little content, disorganized narrative despite good vocabulary and grammar. Rote recall of a story may be good, but the main point missed.”

I have read enough of my son’s papers over the years to know that he has a firm grasp of grammar, sentence structure, spelling and vocabulary. Moreover, some of his writing has been very creative and really enjoyable to read. But I have also seen evidence of that disorganization, lack of complexity and the occasional missed main point; and I worry about whether he has the tools to succeed in Communications, which will be his new major.

Looking at the glass as half full, however (which my daughter frequently reminds me that I often fail to do – or choose not to do), I think journalism – print, Internet or other media – still might be a good choice: Who, What, When Where, Why, How…Just the facts, Ma’am.

No comments: