Friday, April 16, 2010

Coming Clean

As we approach the four-months-past-Christmas-mark, the guilt is overwhelming me. It’s time to come clean, knowing that at least one of my few faithful readers is going to (hopefully) have a good laugh.

Last fall, I wrote more than once about the issue my son was having with losing his personal toiletries by leaving them in the bathroom in his dorm. Someone suggested an organizer from LL Bean, and someone else bought it for my son for Christmas.

We returned home in January from a holiday visit with family, and I (AM PRETTY SURE I) showed my son how convenient and handy the organizer would be – with pockets for razor and shave cream, shampoo, toothpaste and toothbrush, etc.; it also had a hanger that would fit over the shower rod and over the rod in his closet. I imagined shampoo never to be lost again, used all the way to the bottom of the bottle.

It did not quite work out that way. To this day, we are not quite sure whether the organizer got lost as soon as he got back to school, or even BEFORE he returned to school. How embarrassing is that? We looked everywhere; it is slightly possible that we left it in Indiana, but I really think I showed my son how to use it after we got back home.

Not ready to admit defeat with what I believed was a really good concept, I finally called LL Bean in February or early March and ordered the exact same organizer…which was delivered a week or so later to the wrong mailbox ...and therefore sat there for another week or more. Finally my son retrieved the package.

I’m not sure what he did with it – yesterday afternoon he called to tell me that he was going for a walk downtown to pick up a new bottle of shampoo – the half-full old one was missing.

Mea Culpa!!

No comments: