Monday, October 5, 2009

Whose Life Is It, Anyway?

Over the weekend we attended “family days” at my son’s school. Friday night there was a performance by the 57 first year theater students; Saturday there was a reception, barbecue and family carnival.

The presentation and skits that were performed on Friday pointed to just how strong the school’s theater department is. The signature piece was the story of Snow White, during which the students not only rotated in and out of the principle parts, but also played different parts of the actual set – picture 45 or so students playing the queen’s throne room, the castle décor, and the table and beds in the dwarfs’ cottage.

It also opened the window (albeit narrowly) on how my son was relating to the other theater majors. I can’t say if he is friendly with them beyond the classroom, but he did look comfortable.

On Saturday, I let him know that I was writing this blog. He seemed neither put off nor particularly thrilled, although I think he will eventually check it out. This was not an easy decision for me, but the intended purpose of this is to help him; it won’t help him if he doesn’t look at it; he can’t look at it if I don’t tell him it’s there…


I hope I can stay true to my goal going forward, but it will be a little different, if not harder.

No comments: