Friday, September 18, 2009

ADAM

There is a movie currently playing in theaters called "Adam." I haven't seen it yet.

Adam is the story of a young man who has Asperger's Syndrome. When a pretty young woman moves into his building, he finds himself attracted to her on many levels. The movie follows the evolution of their relationship, as Adam struggles with his undeveloped social skills. For now I'll share two brief clips.

In the first, the upstairs neighbor (Beth) is upset. Adam says "I know you're upset, but I don't know what to do." Beth replies, "Could you give me a hug?" And Adam answers, "Yes." but continues to stand there until Beth clarifies, "Adam, I want you to give me a hug."

The second trailer shows Adam and Beth leaving the Cherry Lane Theater in New York's Greenwich Village with Beth parents. When Beth's father remarks that he hadn't known the theater was there, Adam proceeds to give a detailed, rambling history of the theater. He spouts off shows from its earliest days right through the middle of the twentieth century. At that point Beth finally nudges him and he realizes that his running commentary might have been one of his social blunders. Beth's father says, "Gee, Adam, what about the '70s?" Adam is happy to pick up where he left off until Beth quickly chimes in with, "Adam, my father was joking."

I liked both clips, and I plan to see the movie, so more about that later. But the thought that people will see this and maybe understand a little more about Asperger's, NLD and other social communications disorders leaves me amazed and hopeful for my son.

No comments: