Wednesday, September 22, 2010

First Impressions

Today as part of my job search efforts, I attended a workshop on interviewing. One of the critical points the facilitator stressed was the importance of first impressions. In fact, he mentioned that it would not be a bad thing to arrive early for an interview, thereby allowing time to run to the restroom and make sure there are no signs of breakfast between your teeth or on your clothing.

If you’ve been following this blog, you can see where this is going – there has always been a good motive to the fact that I hound my son about a clean face and general self-awareness when it comes to manners, cleanliness and hygiene. I am almost ready to concede that he no longer needs my reminders.

Approaching 20 years old (next month), he is very good about using a napkin at meals, carrying tissues, etc. He doesn’t leave the house without washing his face, and I assume the same goes for leaving the dorm.

As has always been his “MO”, he arrived at an understanding of the value of making a good first impression in his own time; but arrive he did.

No comments: